Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Misconceptions of Technique Specific Gear

I took some time writing this up as a comment on another blog after a heated debate ensued on whether technique specific gear is really necessary for the average fisherman. This was my response, and I really want all my readers to understand that my own decision making on rods and reels are based off of my own personal experience and the combined knowledge of others that have put their time in on the water. By no means does that mean that you to have to follow my lead or that I am right...I am just giving some essential information that I feel will steer you in the right direction to help you make the best possible gear choices that works for you in the end. So always keep that in mind as we move forward through this coming season and realize that sometimes a little goes a long way...

"You are right, the gear does not make the fisherman at all...and I think that's what most average anglers don't come to grips with. I fished with one to two rods for many years and I could out fish a good percentage of them out there, and that was because I was familiar and confident with my equipment from putting so much time on the water. Now that I have branched out I have started to understand the added benefit some extra setups can buy me in an average fishing situation or a tournament situation. Doesn't matter what action, length, or power the rod is. All that matters is knowing that once I throw that lure out there, I will have the best chance to present that lure, detect a strike, and bring the fish back to me without incident. Any time I go out fishing, I want to put myself in the best situation possible to catch as many fish as I can...that's the best way to learn! No one learns by going out to a lake and getting skunked...you learn by catching and putting 2 and 2 together...and only then can you make an informed decision if a different setup is truly warranted. I am no KVD or Denny Brauer...but I know that if I was fishing and the bass were hitting lipless cranks or any other lure for that matter...that I would know the right rod/reel/line setup to get my limit or outfish my buddies. Yeah it saves time and effort retying and blah blah blah if I have more combos...but the bottom line is knowing your equipment well enough to make the necessary adjustments if need be to ultimately make your experience on the water better."

Just some things to think about this year...

Tight Lines,

Fluke

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting on BFA, Fluke. I can't agree with your response more.

    ReplyDelete